- Make exercise fun. (Find something active that your child truly enjoys doing
—then she will want to do it.)
- Set a good example. (Show your kids that exercise is an important part of your own life).
- Exercise with your kids. (The best motivator is getting outside with your kids).
- Turn off the television. (Or, make sure physical activity gets equal time to TV and computer time).
- Look beyond organized sports.
- Don’t use fitness as punishment. (“Give me 10 laps.” “Drop and give me 25 push-ups”). This sets a negative tone for fitness.
- Remember that physical fitness and good nutrition go hand-in-hand. (The good news is if you make exercise and good nutrition a part of your lifestyle, chances are your children will follow suit.)
In other places on the web: